Our Theoretical Condensed Matter Research Group is based at the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Iowa State University, and embedded in the lively condensed matter research environment of Iowa State University and the Ames Laboratory. We investigate non-equilibrium dynamics of strongly correlated quantum materials and the effects of competing interactions and emergent order on the electronic properties of solids. To approach these questions we employ a combination of analytical and numerical techniques from field-theory and statistical mechanics. Our research is often guided by experimental results and strives to understand the impact of strong interactions on the properties of quantum materials.
5. Morten H. Christensen, Peter P. Orth, Brian M. Andersen, Rafael M. Fernandes
Magnetic phase diagram of the iron pnictides in the presence of spin-orbit coupling: Frustration between C2 and C4 magnetic phases
4. Morten H. Christensen, Peter P. Orth, Brian M. Andersen, Rafael M. Fernandes
Emergent magnetic degeneracy in iron pnictides due to the interplay between spin-orbit coupling and quantum fluctuations
3. William. R. Meier, Qing-Ping Ding, Andreas Kreyssig, Sergey L. Bud'ko, Aashish Sapkota, Karunakar Kothapalli, Vladislav Borisov, Roser Valentí, Christian D. Batista, Peter P. Orth, Rafael M. Fernandes, Alan I. Goldman, Yuji Furukawa, Anna E. Böhmer, Paul C. Canfield
Hedgehog spin vortex crystal in a hole-doped iron based superconductor
2. Peter P. Orth, Bhilahari Jeevanesan, Rafael M. Fernandes, Jörg Schmalian
Enhanced nematic fluctuations near the Mott insulating phase of high-Tc cuprates
1. Karyn Le Hur, Loïc Henriet, Loïc Herviou, Kirill Plekhanov, Alexandru Petrescu, Tal Goren, Marco Schiro, Christophe Mora, Peter P. Orth
Driven dissipative dynamics and topology of quantum impurity systems
Publications (until 01/16/2018)
23. Michael Schütt, Peter P. Orth, Alex Levchenko, Rafael M. Fernandes
Controlling competing orders via nonequilibrium acoustic phonons: Emergence of anisotropic effective electronic temperature
Phys. Rev. B 97, 035135 (2018).
22. Na Hyun Jo, Yun Wu, Lin-Lin Wang, Peter P. Orth, Savannah S. Downing, Soham Manni, Dixiang Mou, Duane D. Johnson, Adam Kaminski, Sergey L. Bud'ko, Paul C. Canfield
Extremely large magnetoresistance and Kohler's rule in PdSn4: a complete study of thermodynamic, transport and band structure properties
Phys. Rev. B 96, 165145 (2017).
21. Peter P. Orth, Rafael M. Fernandes, Jeff Walter, C. Leighton, B. I. Shklovskii
Percolation via combined electrostatic and chemical doping in complex oxide films
Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 106801 (2017). Read more about